Monday, September 21, 2009

28 Weeks (7 Months) Pregnant - Baby Chinese Cabbage




28 Weeks Pregnant - Looking Super SWOLEN and TIRED

My Friend Wynne and I at her shower for her little boy Grayson. The funny thing is that she is 5 weeks ahead of me but we are the same belly size (when you do the string measurement). She is carrying a lot different (like a ball where I am like a watermelon). She was soooo tiny before she got pregnant (and still is...I am not quite sure where her 42 pounds gained are...I am determined that she is going to have a 42 pound baby...ha ha). I have officially gained 19 pounds now.


Well, we are officially in the Home Stretch...aka the 3rd Trimester!!! Only 83 days to go!!! The good news is that my 2nd round (yes, I failed the first round) of gestational diabetes testing came back in the clear (normal)! I am so glad it did after no food or drink (yes, that includes water and even brushing your teeth...yes, I know...gross!) for 12 hours, drinking a totally nasty suggary drink (on an empty stomach), and then 4 blood draws in 3 hours. Needless to say, we are so glad it's OVER and Brianna and I are safe and diabetes free!

As the Big Day nears, your baby is getting ready to go towards the light at the end of the tunnel (the tunnel being the birth canal, the light being the one the doctor is shining directly into it so she can see what the heck she's doing). Other highlights this week:Your baby's eyes are partially open now and can blink. Truly superior babies can actually wink. (OK, there is no way to prove that, but it's fun to imagine, no?) Your baby can also now become a shiny, happy person as she has begun having rapid eye movement (Get it? REM? Shiny, happy person?? We'll be here all week.)Her eyes have color now, too. It may not be the color she ultimately ends up with, especially if they're light gray or blue. The eyes typically don't settle on a final hue until nine months after baby is born. So when your mother-in-law says that the baby has her eyes, you can politely inform her that they'll most likely change soon. Sorry.Your babe is downright chubby compared to a few weeks ago. She is about 15 inches long, about the length of an amusement park cinnamon-sugar-coated churro (yum!), and weighs 2 to 3 pounds. She sucks her thumb and her taste buds have developed. The baby kicks, stretches, and moves frequently in the uterus. These movements, which are readily observable to others (a lot of friends have actually FINALLY been able to feel her move around and Daddy gets to watch her move at night when I lay down...she is big enough that you can see my stomach move with each of her moves...it's SO EXCITING!), are often keenly felt by the mother. Some mothers may find that the pressure of the growing uterus against the stomach by this week causes heartburn. (I don't have the heartburn, but I sure have acid reflux...especially when I lay down! TUMS have become my new best friend right before bed.) The fundus, the top of the uterus, is now about one-third of the distance between the umbilicus (bellybutton) and the xiphoid cartilage. Uterine growth combined with increased maternal weight gain contribute to a recurrence of fatigue similar to that during the early weeks of pregnancy (that or my kindergartners are making me tired...maybe the combination of both...ha ha!).
Well, this coming Saturday is my baby shower for Brianna. I am sooooooo incredibly excited to see a bunch of you that I don't get to see too often!!! If you are coming, please know that it's NOT at Eric and I's house (a lot of you have asked since the invitation says "The Grounds' House"...it's at Eric's mom and dad's house (also in our neighborhood so if you come here, you are close). Eric will be here just in case you need directions though. See you Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment