Tuesday, September 15, 2009

27 Weeks (6 3/4 months) Pregnant - Baby Head of Cauliflower











Eric and I both were in a good friends' wedding this past weekend (Mariam and Philip). Luckily my bridesmaid dress still fit (just barely as you can see!) considering we bought it back in February before we knew that Brianna was on the way (we found out the first weekend of April). Leila, one of the other bridesmaids, got a great picture in the moment of Eric rubbing on my belly right after we ate. (Isn't it just the cutest picture? It really shows how great of a Daddy Eric is going to be!).

Your baby's done a lot of growing over the past few months. Her length has more than doubled in the past 15 weeks! And that's not the only thing growing—baby's brain tissue and neurons are all developing at a rapid pace. Her brain waves are now firing away just like those of a newborn baby.This week, your baby weighs almost 2 pounds (like a head of cauliflower) and is about 14 1/2 inches long with her legs extended. She's sleeping and waking at regular intervals, opening and closing her eyes, and perhaps even sucking her fingers. With more brain tissue developing, your baby's brain is very active now. While her lungs are still immature, they would be capable of functioning — with a lot of medical help — if she were to be born now. Chalk up any tiny rhythmic movements you may be feeling to a case of baby hiccups, which may be common from now on. Each episode usually lasts only a few moments, and they don't bother her, so just relax and enjoy the tickle.
Your uterus continues to climb the height of your stomach during pregnancy at 27 weeks, now measuring almost 2.8 inches above your belly button. Along with an aching back, for example, you may find that your leg muscles cramp up now and then. They're carrying extra weight, after all, and your expanding uterus is putting pressure on the veins that return blood from your legs to your heart as well as on the nerves leading from your trunk to your legs. Unfortunately, the cramps may get worse as your pregnancy progresses. Leg cramps are more common at night but can also happen during the day. You may start to notice that the abundant energy you experienced toward the first part of the second trimester is fading somewhat as you approach the third trimester. Your growing uterus is placing increasing demands on your circulation and your body during pregnancy 27 weeks and beyond. Remember it takes a lot of energy to create life. Try to get some much needed extra rests in the form of a nap or two if you can during the day. Even a small catnap in the front seat of your car if you are at work may be helpful.
You may start feeling increased Braxton hicks contractions during pregnancy at 27 weeks or later as you gear up for the third trimester. Again for most women Braxton hicks are simply the pre contractions that prepare you for labor and delivery. They are usually nothing to worry about unless you have a history or pre-term labor.
This past week brought a lot of new things. Brianna moves around more and more every day. Eric has actually been able to feel her move (not just kick). We can't quite tell if it's an arm or leg yet, but she moves constantly.

Last Friday I took a 1/2 day to go to my regular doctor appointment (I gained 7 pounds in the last 4 weeks...oops, but now have gained a total of 19 pounds so I am still okay) and my glucose (gestational diabetes) testing. I had breakfast at 6:30 a.m. I called on my way over there at 11:58 a.m., told the receptionist my name and that I was having my glucose test. I told her I was hungry and asked if I could stop and get something on the way to eat. She said, "Sure, no problem...just no sweets." I drove over to the doctor's office, drank the "magic potion" and then proceeded to eat my lunch while I was waiting the hour (you drink this stuff that tastes like orange Gatorade and then sit there an hour and at 1 hour, they draw your blood and test it). Well, as I am eating the lady that takes my blood just happens to walk into the waiting room and saw me eating and said, "What are you doing? You are not supposed to eat!!!" I was LIVID. I turned around and looked through the window and said to the receptionist, "YOU SAID I COULD EAT!!!! I SPECIFICALLY CALLED YOU TO ASK THAT!!!" Her response: "Oh, I must have misunderstood you and you mis understood me." UHHH...NO. They then took a urine sample and it read 250 for glucose (apparently it should be 0) which meant that then my blood was probably reading similar. So ya, they called me yesterday and told me that I now have to come back for the 3 hour test by this Friday...so yep, I have to use ANOTHER one of MY vacation days (that I should be saving up for my maternity leave since it's not paid) b/c of them...nice huh? Needless to say, I am not happy. This test I drink the stuff and then sit there for 3 hours...every hour on the hour they take blood. UGH...not what I want to do with my Friday and/or vacation days... Please keep Eric, Brianna, and I in your prayers in that I do not have gestational diabetes. We have already said that if I do, we will be okay obviously, however, it sure will change things...

No comments:

Post a Comment