Sunday, May 17, 2009

Baby Prune/ Kumquat - 10 Weeks










I am now 10 weeks and I feel like I am starting to show a little bit, but I am assuming it's all water weight since I have not really gained all but 2 pounds or so. Last night we had Mariam and Philip's wedding shower at our house. It was a Hollywood themed shower where you were supposed to come dressed as a famous Hollywood star. It actually turned out quite fun. All of my friends that knew me before me being pregnant were saying that they were starting to see a little tummy so they must agree with me. Right now I am feeling more like I just like a girl with a little belly (something I am not used to having), however, it does not really look flabby. My stomach is still really hard except it now just has a pooch. (See in the pictures?)
Here are the things for 10 weeks:

Your baby is getting big... in fact, by pregnancy week 10 your baby is big enough to start being weighed! By pregnancy week 10 your baby will measure between 31 and 42 mm or a little more than an inch and a half! Your baby is about the size of a prune or kumquat (WHAT IS THAT? is what I was wondering...so I went to look it up. It is what that orange thing is in the picture.), maybe slightly larger by now. It weighs about 5 grams, or about the weight of a quarter, maybe even a little more.

This week is somewhat of a landmark for your developing baby. By now, your baby's complete body plan is laid down. Your baby will continue to develop and grow for the remainder of the pregnancy. The fingers and toes have separated and the tail has disappeared now. Your baby has taste and tooth buds at this point, which will continue to develop. The brain will continue to grow at an amazing rate and nearly a quarter of a million new neurons are produced every minute! The embryonic heart is completely developed. External genitalia are not apparent until next week, but a male's testes will already be producing testosterone.

You may think you are starting to show by pregnancy 10 weeks, but most people still probably can't tell that you are pregnant yet. That is ok! After pregnancy week 10 and in the next few weeks you will start seeing some changes in your profile, your partner may have already commented on your ever so slightly more rounded belly!

Here is the 25-35 pound recommended weight break down of the weight you gain:

For women who are carrying one child:

7.5 pounds goes to the baby
2.0 pounds goes to the uterus
1.5 pounds goes to the placenta
2.0 pounds goes to the breasts
8.0 pounds goes to blood and fluid
7.0 pounds goes to fat.

Here is a great video on Week 10: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fh3clhytaI

I will update again Tuesday, May 19th after our sonogram (on our 2nd year wedding anniversarty) or on Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment