Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Baby Olive - 9 Weeks











Last Wednesday I came out to my co-workers by saying that I was "the next sheet cake." It's kinda a joke between all of us that we get sheet cakes to celebrate something (marriage, baby, retirement, etc.). Let's just say I am #9 that is pregnant: We have had 2 kindergarten teachers, me in 2nd grade, 1 third grade teacher, 1 fourth grade teacher, 1 special education teacher, our speech therapist, our assistant principal, and 1of our coaches' wives that have all been pregnant = 9 new babies into the Carlisle family. If you don't want to get pregnant, don't come to work at Carlisle! HA HA! Just kidding. So anyways, I said I was going to be the next sheet cake. You should have seen everyone's faces! They all looked so confused until it all set in! It was great. Of course everyone congratulated me and gave me hugs. It felt great to be able to share it with everyone and have such a warm welcome.

Sunday we had a good Mother's Day. We went over to "Mom B.A."'s house (what my mom wants her grandmother name to be...short for Mama Beth Ann (since her mother was Mama Mona and my great grandmother was Mama Katie, she wants to follow the same type pattern)) for lunch. My grandmother, Mama Mona (who now will be "GREAT GRAND Mama Mona" she says) was here to visit from Houston. Everyone was there including James (my step-dad), Susan (my sister), and Chris (Susan's wonderful boyfriend). I posted pictures of us girls (my fun sister could not be serious for a picture for my camera...ha ha). The other picture is of my mom, grandmother, and I.
Eric and I then headed over to Nana's (what his mom wants to be called) house for dinner. Jim (his dad) and Chad (his brother) were both there also. It was a great day. Unfortuntately, we did not take any pictures there. :( I think we were all just exhausted.

So here is everything going on for week 9 if you are interested (my comments in red):
Big news! You may be able to hear the heartbeat this week with the help of a Doppler, an ultrasound device that captures the chug-a-chug sound of baby's heart. The first time you hear baby's heart, your own heart may skip a beat—it's the first real evidence that there's someone growing inside you! If you can't hear the heartbeat, no worries, your doc will just check again in a few weeks. (We are hoping to hear it next Tuesday at my 10 week appointment since we were able to see it on the last sonogram. We are really looking forward to it due to that.)

Until now, all pre-babies look the same "down there." This week, however, your baby will begin to develop either male or female genitalia. In layman terms, your baby is beginning to develop her hoo-ha or his wee-wee. (YES, those are their words, NOT mine.) While you won't be able to find out the gender of your baby for several more weeks, the version you'll give birth to is being developed right now. At this stage, your developing fetus is 1-inch in length, about the size of a martini olive (you remember martinis, don't you?) or a large grape and weighs a mere 2 grams—a little less than a penny (or in 2nd grade terms, 2 paperclips).

By pregnancy 9 weeks most of the aspects of your baby's physical structure such as head, arms, legs and torso are in place. If you were to peek in on your little one you'd find they resemble a miniature human being (one with a very large head!). Because your baby's organs and limbs are forming, in the next few weeks your baby will be putting on weight. Your baby's tail should have disappeared by now, and your baby's organs and muscles should be functioning on their own. It's hard to believe that something so small can function so completely isn't it!

Your uterus is still growing at 9 weeks pregnant, now closer to a small cantaloupe than a grapefruit. By pregnancy week 9 you may notice that you feel more bloated and lethargic than ever before. You may notice an increase in weight gain, which may be more associated with fluid retention than actual weight. (I definitely have the fluid retention. Right after I eat, my tummy blows up for about 2 hours. Then it goes back down to a little pooch. I feel like I look pregnant because I actually have a little pooch, however, I know that I just look like a normal girl with a little bit of a belly. I have only gained 1 or 2 pounds, however, my weight has definitely shifted to other areas and there is a lot of water retention.)

Keep praying for us as we go through this journey that we are so excited about. I will update this some time next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment