Wednesday, November 25, 2009

37 Weeks (9 months, 1 week) Pregnant - Baby Large Mouth Bass

Not a very attractive comparison, but they say she is the size of an average "large mouth bass." I am so glad I am not having a fish for a baby...ha ha!
Your baby is officially baked this week! That means you could literally give birth at any given moment. (Monday night I had several contractions off and on all night and a few at school Tuesday during the day so I called my doctor and he had me come in. Last Thursday I was dialated to almost a 1 and was effaced 0%. Yesterday afternoon I was dilated to a 2 1/2 and effaced 75%. To have the baby you have to be dialated to a 10 and effaced 100%...therefore, when I was leaving, my doctor said, "See you Monday at your next appointment, however, I think I am going to hear from you before then. I would not be surprised if you have this baby in the next few days." As I type this I am counting contractions. To go to the hospital my water has to break or my contractions have to be 5-6 minutes apart for at least an hour....so it might be soon! We are sooooooo excited!) A terrifying, exciting and overwhelming concept, all rolled into one. Your partner is undoubtedly having the same emotional roller-coaster ride, so be sure to share your feelings and enjoy these last weeks (days?! hours?!) together.


You made it! Your baby is considered full term at the end of this week. So kick your swollen feet up and swig back a glass of lemonade. All that hard work has finally paid off!At your checkup this week, your doctor or midwife may do an internal exam to see how things are progressing. We're not gonna lie to you, an "internal" can hurt like hooey. (It did not "hurt," however, it was extremely uncomfortable...lots of pressure is the best way to describe it I guess.) But hey, it ain't labor! While she's in there, your practitioner will check three things: dilation (how open your cervix is), ripeness (how soft your cervix is) and effacement (how thin your cervix is). For baby to come on out, the cervix must be open to 10 centimeters, as soft as the skin on the inside of your mouth and 100 percent effaced.

Huge news this week: You're carrying a full-term baby! If you were to go into labor today, all systems would be a go. Woohoo! Even though you can't wait for the little bambino to quite literally rear her head, keep in mind that your bun benefits from every day in the oven. Other ticker-tape-worthy developments:Baby's growth slows down dramatically this week, which is great news for your birth canal. Her bones are still soft and pliable and will solidify after she's born. More great news for your birth canal.So if she's all cooked and ready to go, what the heck is she still doing in there?! She's busy practicing for "life on the outside," working on her breathing, sucking, sleeping, gazing and peeing abilities. The only thing she can't practice yet is her ability to scream at the top of his lungs when she's hungry—but she'll do plenty of that in a few weeks.At this point babies vary in size, but the average length is between 19 and 20 inches and most babies weigh approximately 6 pounds. About the size of an average largemouth bass caught in Minnesota by your cousin Earl.

We will keep everyone updated as we know more. Most likely we will text everyone when she is here and then either Eric or my mom or his mom will be making phone calls to relatives. Until then...

No comments:

Post a Comment